Ari’s Practice Groups: The Rhythm Matrix
What is it?
For many, rhythm is the missing link. and I mean – the – missing link:
- it stands in the way of you transcribing tunes by ear
- it stands in the way of you being able to improvise freely
- it stands in the way of your reading chops
I have seen amazing players who couldn’t make their chops shine because they were locked into the samey-samey type rhythm. Sound familiar?
On the other end of the spectrum, I have observed many beginner level players who would drop a beat here or there or freeze up when improvising, reading or trying to copy someone’s playing.
…And I have seen everything in between.
Here’s the great news: this is a really easy fix! I break down binary rhythms into 16 shapes (and ternary ones into 8).
Shape-based learning is not only great for the fretboard, it works really well for rhythm too, especially because I help you feel those rhythms in your body. You cannot “count yourself” into feeling rhythm in the body, but that is exactly where it must reside for you to be able to use it freely. I have many a story to prove this to you and how starting to count can actually make you crumble! Sure, counting has its place, but try improvising while counting – it just does not work very well at all. Why is that? Simply put, it taps into a different half of the brain!
So what is one to do, then?
- Use movement and the sensing of “light” and “heavy” beats.
- Learn the 16 shapes and make them expand and contract.
- Assimilate the shapes using my rhythm matrix words.
How will this help me?
It will open up creative doors, give you confidence and direction, and it is an amazing trick for reading rhythms!
Is this for me?
All levels of players find this approach surprisingly beneficial. Usually, the revelation is – oh wow this is not so hard! Then we practice it – I show you how – and a strong rhythmic foundation becomes yours forever. Advanced players improve their reading chops and discover new ideas for solos. Players at the beginning of their journey benefit by learning a good rhythmic foundation that is felt in the body!
- Starting December 30th
- Thursdays, noon Pacific/3PM Eastern
- 10 weeks live with Ari on zoom (recordings provided if you miss a session)
Sign upPay one time and save: $370.00 for all ten weeks
Pay in two easy installments: $195.00 (two installments)
Instructor for This Group
Learn more about Ari as an educator here.
Learn more about Ari as a musician here.
What are Practice Groups and How do they work?
They are a great new way to study with Ari and a select group of teachers!
• Ten Week Groups with a small group of peers
• Meetings every week for 10 weeks live on zoom!
• Specific practice assignments using the accompanying material. Each Practice session gets recorded and stays available to the attendees for the duration of the practice groups plus an additional ten weeks afterward. We post the recordings of the sessions. You can go over the material again and again.
• All you need is an internet connection, a microphone, and a webcam. You can test your setup here zoom.us/test. Zoom is free for you to use!
Our success rate for these groups has been exceptionally high. The group format takes the pressure off and you learn while seeing others work toward the same goal. You are among friends and Ari is personally coaching you using a streamlined program. Join us!