So I can serve my current students most effectively, I am not taking on any new students at the moment. Please add your name to the waiting list. If you have package credits (they never expire) or have taken lessons before, you may use the links below to book a slot on my calendar.
Looking for an extra layer of accountability or support?
I give instruction to all levels. Don’t be shy asking: whether you have been at it for years hitting stages, are stuck somehow, are in college studying bass and are not improving, are an older learner, or even if you are just starting out – I am here to help you achieve your goals!
What I do:
- I make customized lesson plans based on your goals and send you lesson notes after each lesson with precise homework instructions. (Many students say these lesson notes make a huge difference in getting the most out of lessons). Each student’s syllabus is entirely unique and all lesson notes are personalized.
- I emphasize quality over quantity when it comes to practicing and am very precise in my instructions. So even if you don’t have much time, you can get a lot done, if doing it right. I show you how.
- I study practice habits and am a psychology geek (I am also a Certified NLP Trainer and a certified Tiny Habits Coach™, both modalities that come in handy for me to help you optimize learning). I want to know what makes you tick, what connects with you and what way of practicing is fun for you so you will stick with it long term.
- You receive a video recording of the lesson afterward. Sometimes also PDFs, charts and/or jam tracks.
- While every student’s lessons are completely unique, I have created (and time-tested) step-by-step programs that I use as the underlying structure:
- Technique and fingering
- The “Pattern System”
- Reading chord charts and score
- Groove and Fill programs (to apply music theory to the bandstand)
- Cycle Practice/Diatonic Cycle Practice
- Practicing Techniques (such as my PORA Method,
- Speed Playing (various “Speed Techniques”)
- The skill of listening to yourself
How it works
- Sign up for a First Lesson
- Fill out the Questionnaire so I get important info about your goals
- Set up first lesson with secure pay using PayPal
- Receive confirmation link in email (keep this email)
- Receive link to click for your lesson right before the lesson
- I use a very easy to use web conferencing tool – it is called zoom and you can find out more about it by going to zoom.us. You don’t need an account to use it, but you need to allow a download which is safe to do. You can test your audio and video set up prior to lesson here: zoom.us/test You can use zoom from your desktop, laptop, pad or smartphone.
Please choose Initial Lesson when scheduling the very first lesson only.
If you are not satisfied with your first lesson for whatever reason, I will give you a 100% refund right after the lesson. This is my 100% money back guarantee to you!
Once we are squared away with our first lesson and we have both had a chance to decide if this is a good fit and made a plan, you can choose either single regular 55 minute lessons or a lesson package, if available. (The lesson package offers a great discount).
After your initial lesson you may choose:
This is important:
Sometimes students worry about impressing me or are a bit nervous about being “good enough” to come to lessons;
or they worry they might be boring me because we go over things again…
Listen, let that go – because I am committed to meeting you where you are at to get you to that next step. I am very precise in my practicing instructions and you will know exactly what to do.
Sometimes you may not have practiced as much as you’d have liked. I prefer of course if you do practice, but even if you did not, do show up for the lesson. Some students tend to want to move the lesson, then, to “practice some more before the lesson”. Don’t delay a lesson unless there is an emergency during our scheduled hour. Show up and I help you over the bump in the road. If you show up to the lesson not having practiced, we practice together: a coached practice session with immediate feedback from an experienced teacher is worth multiple dozens of hours practiced without direction! It usually also brings back your motivation and makes it easier for you to get back into the flow of things again.
So, if you did not get to practice as much as you wanted to, do show up regardless and we spend a productive hour of bass together getting you closer to your goal. If the kids have the flu, your uncle is visiting from Hawaii or work is just crazy this week – no worries, go ahead and move the lesson*. No need to ask my permission – just use the link in the confirmation email (click “reschedule”).
One-on-ones are great if you:
- are stuck in a specific area, or feeling unmotivated or unsure about your next steps.
- don’t really know how to practice or are looking how to make your practice sessions more effective, fun and relevant.
- have some technique habits that are not serving you well or would like to play faster or learn a new technique.
- want someone to show you how to practice in a systematic way.
- are are looking for motivation and accountability.
- would like to study the bass via an organized step-by-step program.
- are looking for personal support.
- have very specific questions (tapping, chords, solo bass, looping).
- need some help switching from four string to five or six string.
- just need some pointers or are looking for feedback.
- are learning a new style. (I teach most styles).
- get nervous playing in front of people.
As for Skill Levels, maybe you are:
- A seasoned player and you have a few holes in your technique, theory or fretboard knowledge
- A complete beginner
- Anywhere in between
Depending on your goals we may:
- Do just a few sessions
- Commit long-term
- Meet every week, every other week, or once a month – most students are on a twice a month schedule
- Integrate private lessons with the course (I can advise if this may be right for you – it is a great way to save money while still getting personal coaching and feedback)
I have a secret for you – if you follow my practicing suggestions precisely it will allow you to get the most out of your practicing time. The trick lies in the details.
If you are
- prepared to work smart rather than hard
- ready to practice regularly rather than long hours
- willing to slow down enough to take it all in…
- follow directions and be kind to yourself in the process…
then measurable progress is imminent.
Here is what Kevin reports after six lessons:
So I can serve my current students most effectively, I am not taking on any new students at the moment. Please add your name to the waiting list. If you have package credits (they never expire) or have taken lessons before, you may use the links above to book a slot on my calendar.
The first (initial Lesson) is 100% refundable. Just inform me right after that first lesson.
Lessons or bundles are non-transferable; gift certificates are available upon request, however.
Bundles never expire. Bundles are non-refundable.
No refunds or make-ups. You may reschedule up to 12 hours prior to the lesson without forfeiting tuition (just click “reschedule” in the confirmation email and the system will make the change).
The scheduling software I use adjusts to your selected time zone. Please make sure your time zone is set correctly
Please test your connectivity by going to zoom.us/test
There are no make-ups for connectivity problems on the students’ end.
Be ready at your assigned time and click on the link in the email. You may also save this link as it is always the same. Just “enter” at your assigned time.