Introducing: Music Theory for the Bass Player
- it is a workbook – there are spaces provided for you to write answers. These exercises are great to help your understanding. I suggest you do them!
- original versions had a few typos. We are continually updating the source files, so when you buy new, you don’t have to mark your copy with the errata page download.
The latest version available at the time of this writing has a red flag on the upper right corner of the cover, see arrow. The publishing date will always say “August 2015”, reflecting the original publishing date. The source files, however are continually updated.
Bass Player, learn Music Theory
Have you always wanted to learn music theory but felt it was too overwhelming a task? Perhaps all the books seem to be geared toward pianists or classical players? Do you know lots of songs, but don’t know how the chords are put together or how they work with the melody? If so, this is the bass guitar book for you!
Starting with intervals as music’s basic building blocks, you will explore scales and their modes, chords and the basics of harmony. Packed with fretboard diagrams, musical examples and exercises, more than 180 pages of vital information are peppered with mind-bending quizzes, effective mnemonics, and compelling learning approaches. Extensive and detailed photo demonstrations show why relaxed posture and optimized fingering are vital for good tone, timing and chops on the bass guitar. You can even work your way through the book without being able to read music!
Music Theory for the Bass Player is a comprehensive and immediately applicable guide to making you a well-grounded groover, informed bandmate and all-around more creative musician. This is the definitive resource book for the enthusiastic bassist!
Ari’s Bass Blog demonstrates exercises, concepts and examples described in Music Theory for the Bass Player. 89 videos stream from this website. Sign up for free access and see concepts demonstrated.
The new Music Theory for the Bass Player Wall Chart is another great tool that will help you keep the most important learnings from the book fresh in your mind!
Ari’s Course – Music Theory for the Bass Player coaches you through the book (applications of theory in grooves) and goes way beyond the theory guiding you through technique exercises and helping you by applying the knowledge.
Learn theory once and for all, Bass Player. This well rounded book/course/wall chart combo will guide you though! Ari will be with you every step of the way!
Note: You do not need to be able to read score or TAB to follow along this book. The author believes that learning to read – while a vitally important skill – is a different skill than music theory. Once the theory is understood, learning to read becomes much easier. Please read this blog post for more information.
Where to get the Book?
- The book Music Theory for the Bass Player is available on Amazon, at http://www.indiebound.org, at Barnes and Noble and other major outlets.
- Internationally, check your country’s Amazon: amazon.co.uk amazon.de amazon.es etc. as well as the Book Depository (free international shipping)
- The book is also in the Gardners Catalogue, in the ipage system and can also be ordered directly from the publisher.
- Customers in Australia may buy or order the book here.
- Check the direct links for your Amazon below.
To order an autographed version, please click here.
Check Your Country’s Amazon
Free Shipping Worldwide
Please support your local book stores!
Bookstores can order Music Theory for the Bass Player by referencing the Gardners catalogue.
Stores carrying the book:
Bananas at Large in Santa Rosa
Bananas at Large in San Rafael
The California Jazz Conservatory AKA The Jazz School – Bookstore
Paul Sips – Bass Matters in Nijmegen
Die Klangfarbe Wien