Is “Practicing More Bass” one of your New Year’s Resolutions?
It’s that time of the year again when we once again decide that “next year” will be the year we:
- shed a few pounds
- hit the gym three times a week
- eat more veggies
- and of course, practice five hours every day and sound like Jaco by June!
Best intentions for sure, but if it didn’t work last year, so why would you expect this year to be any different?
Well, first of all, don’t beat yourself up too badly. Research has shown while 50% of adults make resolutions, fewer than 10% actually keep them beyond just a few weeks!
Resolutions are good – here are ways to actually keep them!
Research has shown that while 50% of adults make resolutions, fewer than 10% actually keep them beyond just a few weeks!
Research also shows, however, that there are ways to improve your chances to succeed!
Here are a few of them:
1 – Enlist the support of a buddy group!
There’s strength in numbers. Take dieters, for example: dieters in group programs blow the success rate of solo dieters out of the water! The Beatles were hip to this, too: it’s easier “with a little help from my friends”!
2 – Shorter, but more consistent/regular/focused activity!
Five hours in the gym, 3-4 days/week for the whole month of January will leave you depleted (and sore!), and likely to lose motivation and stop going.
But the kind of mountains we can move when doing something in short, consistent “ bursts” is truly unbelievable:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator and
- park on the other side of the lot.
Ask your Fitbit and it will tell you how much good those small adjustments did you!
So the “secret” formula for success is: Do something small. Do it often. And reap the rewards!
3 – Get the Right Guidance!
Coaching works. Well thought out instruction works. Interactive online learning works.
Think back on your school days. Regular classes, regular homework, periodic quizzes, a midterm and a final coupled with the feedback from an experienced teacher is what provided a positive learning experience.
4 – “Before” and “After” snapshots
Success sometimes comes slowly and gradually, so while we are working away on our bite-sized assignments it is easy to lose sight of how far we have come. Take a snapshot of where you are now and then one in a few months. Stick to your small, doable regimen and reap the rewards. The “after” shot will be a huge motivator to keep you moving forward on the upward spiral of success!
5 – Try a different approach (AKA “Do one thing different”)
Whether it really was Albert Einstein who said the following or not, it really ain’t rocket science: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
So change things up in your practice routine. If it’s not working for you, stop doing it. Try something else.
Because of all this and because it is that time of the year we are offering something new:
Join the New Year’s Bass Cohort of Ari’s Course and totally crush it in 2019!
Sign up between now and January 10th and do the course with a cohort and enjoy extra support from Ari and Wolf!
Not only will you be sharing the group experience with a cohort of other bassists, but you will also:
- Take part in a Welcome webinar – live with Ari! You get a personal live welcome from Ari and guidance on the navigation! We beta-tested this recently and attendees were gung-ho about this session!
- You’ll also get to submit a “Skills Assessment”, where you record yourself playing through a series of exercises. Then, after you complete the course, you go back and record yourself playing the same set of exercises to gauge your improvement. Think of it like a “before and “after” snapshot — video proof of your success!!
How does it work?
You must sign up for the Course between now and January 10th, 2019 to participate in this limited time, special opportunity!
- Choose either the Fast Track or our new Steady Track and any payment option (we now have monthly installments as low as 34.97 per month).
- The cohort will have its own chatroom and you can submit homework there, get support and encouragement from your peers.
- Ari and her team will check in regularly and answer your questions. We’ve got your back!
- You can also take part in the live welcome webinar
- You get to submit your “before” bass skills snapshot!
Can I join the Cohort if I am already signed up for the Course?
YES! Whenever I have mentioned this new feature, course participants were gung-ho and wanted to join. So, whether you need a fresh start, support continuing on, or on your second or third go-through, you are welcome to take advantage of the January Cohort group!
[If you are a current course participant and want to join, contact us via the contact form and put “January Cohort” into the subject line and we will make it happen.]
Does this cost extra?
No. We may charge extra for this in the future, but for now the group program is in Beta and it’s included! Your participation will help shape this exciting new feature for future enrollees.
Cohort features that will see you through
- Small, doable bite sized practice videos – smaller but regular activity.
- Motivational videos, coaching support, interactive quizzes – the right guidance.
- Reminders – Reviews – Rewards – help with regular activity.
- Ask Ari Live – expert support!
- NEW, JUST ADDED: Buddy System – “with a little help from my friends” – Start together and support each other!
- NEW, JUST ADDED: “Before” and “after” snapshots (Skills Assessment) – check on Motivation!
- NEW, JUST ADDED: Initial live orientation meeting with Ari – get started off right!